Mon 6 Aug 2007
The Coptic Orthodox Church annually celebrates the Fast of the Virgin Mary starting from August 7th and concludes with a feast commemorating the assumption of her body on August 22nd. I get a lot of questions about the Orthodox View of the Holy Theotokos (Mother of God), here are a few great resources:
- Facing Up To Mary, a booklet by Fr. Peter Gillquist – Why is it important to honor Mary and call her “blessed”? This booklet will lay to rest much of the contemporary confusion concerning Mary, and will provide help for those seeking to understand her role in our lives.
- Five Virtues of Saint Mary, a sermon by His Grace Bishop Moussa.
- Mary, Ever-Virgin, a booklet by Fr. John Hainsworth – Every sincere Christian acknowledges that Christ was born of a Virgin. But from earliest times, the Church has also held that Mary remained a virgin even after giving to the Holy Child. How is this so? The author examines this long-held Christian doctrine, looks at the key biblical passages and addresses some of the major areas of concern for modern Christians.
- Mary the Mother of God, by Saint Gregory Palamas – A collection of some of the greatest homilies ever written on the Theotokos, including Gregoryâ€™s celebrated sermon â€œOn the Entry of the Mother of God into the Holy of Holies.â€ 78 pages.
- On Saint Mary, a sermon by His Grace Bishop Moussa.
- Saint Mary in the Orthodox Concept, Part I.
- The Assumption of the Theotokos, a sermon by Deacon Raouf Ibrahim.
- The Blessing of Sacrifice, a sermon by Fr. Anthony Messeh.
- The Holy Theotokos: A Model For All Mankind, an article by Inas Michael.
- The Holy Virgin St. Mary, a pamplet by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III. (Also availble as a PDF).
- The Life of Prayer According to the Theotokos, a sermon by Fr. Bishoy Andrawes.
- The Mother of God, a blog post by Fr. Stephen Freeman.
- The Mystery of Saint Mary, a homily by Jacob of Serug (5th/6th Century)
- Theotokos on OrthodoxWiki
- The Truth About the Virgin Mary, a sermon by Fr. Anthony Messeh.
- The Virgin’s Fast, a blog post By Fr. Augustinos Hanna.
- Treasures of the Fathers: On the Holy Theotokos, A Discourse on the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos, by Saint Basil of Seleucia, translated by Fr. George Dion Dragas, Protopresbyter.
No Responses to “ Resources on the Theotokos ”
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.